Cabrera started out as a caddie. His friends, most of whom were a little older than he was, were caddying at the Cordoba Golf Club and they suggested him to join them. "I´ll go and see what is all about," he told himself. He was ten years old at the time and, after that one exploratory trip, he was hooked.
Caddies have their playing opportunities in Argentina and Cabrera soon emerged as one of the promising young players in the region. When he was 18 years old, he finished sixth in the prestigious Center Open in Cordoba, so he knew he wanted to make this game his career.
After some years of playing with scarce resources and with the help of some club members, he played in and out of the country with good results.
In 1996, with the economic help of Eduardo Romero, renowned player of the US Champions Tour, Angel obtained the European Tour card. In 2001, he won his first title when the Argentine Open was part of the Old Continent tour.
He joined the PGA European Tour in 1996.
European Tour International Schedule victories:
- Argentina Open 2001
- Benson and Hedges International Open 2002
- BMW Championship 2005
- Only player from Argentina in the history of Argentinian golf to be Top Ten in the official World Golf Ranking.
- Only Argentinian member of the International Team that competes against the combined US Team every two years. In 2005, he was invited to participate in the President's Cup in U.S.A, where his performance was outstanding and in the same year he finished 5th in the European Tour Order of Merit. Last year, Angel finished in the 12th position in the World Golf Ranking.
In 2007, he was also a member of the President’s Cup played in Canada.
- Shared with Ricardo Gonzalez (Foursomes) a record 61 at the 2005 WGC-Algarve World Cup in Portugal at Victoria Clube de Golfe, Vilamoura.
- Finished second behind Tiger Woods and David Duval in the WGC World Cup playing together with Eduardo Romero.
- Represented Argentina at The Alfred Dunhill Cup in 1997 (winning all his matches), 1998 and 2000.
1991: Gran Premio San Diego (San Diego C. C.).
1992: Norpatagónico Tournament (C. de G. Palihue, Bahía Blanca) .
1994: Gran Premio Villa Gesell (Villa Gesell G. C.), South Open (Mar del Plata G. C.), Center Open (CGC), Gran Premio Náutico Hacoaj (Buenos Aires).
1995: Littoral Open (Rosario G. C.).
1996: South Open (Mar del Plata G. C.).
1997: Center Open (CGC).
1998: Argentina PGA (Club Mar del Plata-Los Acantilados).
1999: Argentina Masters (Olivos G. C.).
2000: Center Open (CGC), Llao Llao Classic (match play, Bariloche).
2001: Argentina Open (Jockey Club de San Isidro), Center Open (CGC), Argentina Masters (Olivos G. C.).
2002: Argentina PGA (Pilar G. C., tied with Gustavo Rojas), Argentina Open (Hurlingham)
2004: South Open (Mar del Plata G. C.), North Open (Jockey Club de Tucumán).
2005: Center Open (CGC), North Open (Jockey Club de Tucumán), Argentina Masters (Olivos G. C.).
2006: Center Open (CGC).
2007: Center Open (CGC), Argentina Masters (Olivos G. C.).
(*) CGC: Córdoba Golf Club
In South America (7):
1995: Hato Grande International Open (Hato Grande Golf & Tennis Country Club, Bogotá, Colombia), Paraguay Open (Asunción G. C.).
1996: Granadilla Open (Granadilla C. C., Chile), Viña del Mar Open (Los Leones, Chile), Volvo Masters of Latin America (San Pablo, Brazil)
1998: Brazil Open.
1999: Brazil Open.
In Europe (2):
2002: Benson & Hedges International Open (The De Vere Belfry, England)
2005: BMW PGA Championship (Wentworth Club, England)
In North America (3):
2007: US Open (Oakmont C.C., USA)
2007: Grand Slam of Golf (Mid Ocean Club, Bermuda)
2009: The Masters(Augusta National, USA).
In Asia (1):
2007 Singapore Open.